Any dental emergency can be upsetting, and if it involves a toothache, all you want is for the pain to go away. At Vermont Hills Family Dental, we understand that at a time like this, you may also feel helpless, worried, and unsure of what to do next.
Dr. Christine Brown and her team are pleased to provide emergency dentistry for patients in Portland, Hillsdale, Vermont Hills, and surrounding communities who urgently need relief and treatment. Call us, and we will schedule you for our next available appointment; if you are in pain, we’ll do our best to see you the same day. In either case, rest assured that we will provide the care and comfort you need when you need it.
Emergency Dentistry in Portland, OR
We offer a wealth of family dental services and can provide any of them on an emergency basis as needed:
- Place dental fillings
- Repair broken or chipped teeth
- Replace lost tooth crowns
- Perform emergency tooth extractions
If you need an emergency dentist, call Vermont Hills Family Dental at (503) 246-7700, so we can help you.
Tips for Handling Dental Emergencies
When you have an excruciating toothache, it can be difficult to think clearly. That’s why it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the following tips for managing your emergency until you see us.
- Chipped, broken teeth: Neither is an urgent emergency unless the tooth has broken off below the gum line or you are in pain. If you can find the broken-off piece, keep it in a safe place and bring it with you to your emergency appointment.
- Lost crowns or fillings: If a dental crown comes off your tooth, wrap it in tissue and bring it to our office. In some cases, we can easily re-cement a crown onto your tooth. Lost tooth fillings will need to be replaced.
- Toothache: If you have a toothache that’s mild but bearable with OTC pain relievers, we’ll schedule you as soon as possible to address the problem. If you are in so much pain that you can’t function, you may be in danger of losing your tooth. Call us right away, and we will arrange to see you the same day.
- Jaw pain or swelling: Both are indications that you may have an infected tooth that requires root canal treatment. Take ibuprofen or Advil to relieve your pain, rinse your mouth periodically with warm saltwater, and use a cold compress to reduce swelling.
- Knocked-out tooth: It is possible to re-implant a knocked-out (avulsed) tooth if we see you within the first two hours. Find the tooth and hold it by the crown only. Rinse it gently if the tooth is dirty but don’t touch the root or any attached tissue. Keep the tooth root moist by holding it in your cheek pocket or placing it in a container of saliva or milk. Call us right away so we can prepare for your visit, and make your way safely to our dental office.
We Can Help You Avoid Emergencies
Not all dental emergencies can be avoided, but many, like cavities and infected teeth, can. Brushing and flossing diligently and keeping up with scheduled exams and teeth cleanings can go a long way toward preventing unexpected dental issues from occurring in the first place.
If you need emergency dentistry and live in the Portland communities of Hillsdale, Vermont Hills, or surrounding communities, please call us so we can help you.